Farmers State Bank's Life-Stage Solutions
FAMILIES ON THE GO
Managing the financial responsibilities of family life
By the time you have a family of your own, there will be accompanying expenses such as fees for various activities and lessons for your children, family vacations, saving for college educations or buying a new home. Throughout this time, you should regularly evaluate your progress towards achieving the financial goals you set earlier in your life and adjust your spending, budgeting and saving to make sure you stay on track. With all the demands a family places on your income, it is still important to build your long-term investments.
Planning and discipline that determines what and how you spend contributes to your future financial success. Here are some tips Farmers State Bank recommends for sound financial management during this demanding time of your life.
1. Shop for the best mortgage and consumer loans – Seeking the best mortgage or consumer loan by shopping, comparing and negotiating may save you thousands of dollars. A mortgage—whether for a home purchase, refinancing or a home equity loan—is a product, just like a car, so terms may be negotiable. You'll want to compare all the costs involved in obtaining a mortgage including interest rates, points, fees and down payment and private mortgage insurance requirements. Home equity loans and lines of credit can be helpful when extra cash is needed to reduce significant credit card debt—but be cautious about re-building credit card debt once it is paid.
With competitive rates, experienced lending professionals and local decision-making, you’ll be sure to find a loan at Farmers State Bank that meets your needs. To apply for a mortgage or consumer loan now, click on the links below, or stop by and talk with one of our lending officers.
2. Understand your credit report - Your financial behavior over the past seven years, including how much credit you have, how long you've had it and whether you pay your bills on time is information included in your credit report. Three credit reporting agencies — Equifax, TransUnion and Experian — maintain these reports, and lenders buy them to help them decide whether to offer you a prequalification. Your credit report also carries your credit score ranked between 300 and 850 that many lenders use to decide whether you are creditworthy and whether you'll repay a loan. Your credit score can also influence the interest rate you pay. In many cases the higher your score, the lower your interest rate. Your credit score is available from the three credit reporting agencies:
3. Start Saving for College — By starting early, when your child is in preschool or before, you can build a realistic fund through the power of compounding over many years. The earlier you start, the less you’ll have to save per month.
Through Farmers State Bank, you can access products designed to help you fund your child’s higher education. To learn more, or set up an educational account, click on the links below.
4. Conserve time, money and paper with Farmers State Bank’s convenient checking accounts with online banking and bill pay and no-charge ATM services – You’ll reduce the time it takes to pay your bills and save on the expense of printed paper checks and postage while helping the environment as well.
5. Improve Funds Availability and Save Time and Money With Farmers State Bank's Convenient “Direct Deposit” Service – Save the time and expense required to prepare, transport and deposit transactions, by conveniently making remote deposits from your home or office at any time of day or night. Our simple, web-based interface integrated with an inexpensive flatbed scanner and our online banking service lets you electronically deposit checks into your account for improved cash flow. To learn more, go to Direct Deposit.
6. Save for Retirement — Many people underestimate the amount of money they’ll need in retirement. Be realistic about major expenditures, e.g., will your mortgage be paid off by retirement? If so, you may need less income than you do now. Do you plan to buy a vacation home or travel extensively? Will you have to pay for your own health insurance? These and other financial considerations all come into play.
Now is a good time to up your contributions to your retirement savings accounts. Talk with Farmers State Bank’s financial consultants to learn about the products we offer that can help you meet your retirement goals.
|Mortgage Calculator||Retirement Calculator|
Tips for Effective Financial Management
For help determining the best accounts and products for sound and productive money management during your Active Families Lifestage, please contact us at 888.492.7111 or